SRADev Nigeria is a professional, non-governmental, non-partisan, non-profit think tank environmental health research and development, advocacy and action organization. It seeks to be the voice for environmental development in Africa particularly, Nigeria, while acting as a catalyst, advocate, educator and facilitator to promote the wise use and sustainable development of the environment.SRADev Nigeria is to bridge yawning gap between knowledge and action by carrying out research, information dissemination, networking, training to increase public awareness on environmental health issues towards improving health and the quality of life for all humanity.The organisation was formed on 7th November, 2003, with its headquarters in Lagos, committed to environmental protection and conservation as well as resource management towards sustainable development in Nigeria.
SRADev Nigeria aims to promote sustainable development by facilitating sound environmental practice, exchange of information, building bridges of understanding on environmental health and natural resource conservation in a sustainable way and to ensure that the local people are put on the drivers’ seat in the sustainable management of the environment.
SRADev Nigeria vision is to have an environmentally safe continent where all people has enhanced environmentalism and environmental rights.
SRADev Nigeria exists because the fragile African environment deserves a voice, needs solutions and change towards sustainability which above all needs action.
SRADev Nigeria takes its mandate entirely from Agenda 21 (with focus on chapters 30, 31 and 36) which deals with the need for education, training, community involvement and engaging the business community. And lately, the Johannesburg declaration which reaffirms our commitment to Sustainable Development.
The key objectives among others are:
- To assist in the fulfillment of the millennium development goals (MDGs)
- To generate public awareness based on the Framework for Action on Water and Sanitation (WAHEB) – water, agriculture, health, environment and biodiversity.
- To undertake research projects, document the findings and make same available as resource materials for advocacy purposes and good governance.
- To influence governments decisions, legislations and policies through lobbying and other non-violent means with a view to mainstreaming environment into developmental agendas.
- To collaborate and work in partnership with local, regional and international organizations, agencies and individuals who share the organization’s goals.
- To contribute to the global environmental health security.
- To facilitate knowledge of environmental science management by providing society with the information and tools it needs to secure a sustainable future.
- To build bridges between governments and NGO’s, sustainability science and societal local action and global policy towards environmental governance.
- To organize annual environmental events, summit, conferences, round tables and public enlightenment programmes.
- To participate in academic discussions, round tables, research and provide a data base for researchers, NGOs, government in environmental and development issues etc.